Friday, July 31, 2009

Complication of Multiples Dodged

Whew. After a positive test for gestational diabetes on a preliminary screening, my wife came up negative on the authoritative test. Gestational diabetes is a fairly common complication in multiple pregnancies, so I must admit that I was concerned. Bullet dodged.

This also means that my boys being in the 70th percentile in size is not a symptom, but a sign that they will be super-human hockey babies!

I have been kind of preoccupied lately with an odd thought. Being that there will be two babies, do we need to track how much time each of us spends holding/caring for/playing with each child? I mean, I don't want one baby to develop a stronger attachment to mommy and the other a stronger attachment to me. This is of special concern to me given that I will only have a month of paternity leave to build a strong foundation with each baby before I have to go back to work and barely see them. Will random chance keep the time we spend with each baby at about 50/50, or do we have to track this stuff . . . along with tracking the consistency of their poops?

Two months to go. It's a brave new world.

1 comment: